In today's fast-paced business landscape, traditional office spaces are no longer the only option for professionals and teams. Enter coworking spaces, a transformative concept that has taken the world of work by storm.
We explore some basic questions we always get asked: what coworking spaces are, their significance, and whether they are worth your precious coin (quick answer to this one is YES, and they're affordable!).
1. What is a co working space? What are co working spaces?
Co working spaces are shared work environments where individuals from various professions, companies, and backgrounds can work side by side in a collaborative and flexible setting. These spaces often offer amenities such as desks, meeting rooms, high-speed internet, printing facilities, and even community events. These spaces vary in size, amenities, and style but all share the common goal of providing a productive and collaborative workspace.
At Flexday, we partner with over a hundred co working locations all over Canada. Our network of co working spaces (as well as flex offices - stand-alone office spaces that your company can use by the day) make it easy for any team leader to find the broadest set of workspaces that work for their team's unique needs; whether meeting with the whole department for the whole day (a Flexday Suite might be the best option), onboarding new hires (a private office in a co working space is ideal), presenting weekly / monthly updates to stakeholders (a conference boardroom is key), or taking phone calls and doing solo work before meeting up with the rest in the same vicinity (best workspace is a solo desk).
2. Are coworking spaces worth it?
The value of coworking spaces depends on your unique needs and circumstances. For $25-50 a day, you can do a full eight-hour work at a solo workstation or desk of your choice, including access to private call booth (for biz dev people out there). Meeting rooms at Flexday start at $30/hour with some partners; and private offices for day start at $99. These on-demand usage and prices are the most economical, especially if your team is fully remote (though, let's be real, there are still types of work that require some - not all the time - in-person presence).
Depending on your needset and budget too, you may want to lock-in with a specific coworking space to have your own mini-office for your own growing team for a solid year. In today's world, short-term commitments like these work for early stage companies with a need to demonstrate more, consistent in-person commitments due to more complex builds and/or project pace. In which case, we have services at Flexday to also match your companies to a variety of coworking partners free.
Co-working spaces can be incredibly beneficial for several reasons:
1. Networking: Coworking spaces foster a sense of community, enabling you and your company to connect with like-minded professionals, potentially leading to new partnerships or opportunities.
2. Cost-Efficiency: Renting a traditional office space can be costly. Coworking spaces provide a cost-effective alternative, as you pay only for the workspaces you need. We find that this is more economical for companies requiring more than three days a week in-office.
3. Flexibility: Coworking spaces offer flexible plans, allowing you to choose how often you use the space and whether you need additional services.
4. Productivity: A change of environment can boost productivity and creativity, making coworking spaces ideal for remote workers and freelancers.
3. What does co working space mean?
The term "coworking space" refers to a shared workspace that is typically accessible on a membership or rental basis. These spaces promote collaboration, networking, and a flexible work environment where professionals can conduct their tasks.
The difference between a co working space and a traditional office space varies greatly. For instance, not only do you get relatively more flexibility with coworking spaces (at Flexday, you can book workspaces in coworking spaces on-demand or ask us to find you a coworking space partner that suits your team's unique needs and workstyle best) vs. traditional office space, you can also benefit from a broader set of workspace types for your team's various collaborative and learning needs: meeting rooms and private offices come in a variety of sizes, from small spaces that can accommodate two, to large spaces that can double as a whole event space or host a team's offsite.
4. Why co working space?
At Flexday, companies have the broadest set of workspace choices suited for their unique stage and needs. Co working spaces best allow for a variety of types to exist in a single location nearby, and can be booked on-demand (meaning, pay only when you need it) or for recurring / short-term use (guarantee your spot for weeks or months to a whole year).
There are several reasons why professionals and tech startups opt for coworking spaces:
1. Flexibility: You can choose a plan that suits your schedule and workspace needs.
2. Community: Coworking spaces offer a sense of belonging and a chance to connect with diverse professionals.
3. Cost-Effective: Compared to traditional office rentals, coworking spaces are often more budget-friendly.
4. Inspiration: The dynamic environment and interactions with others can spark creativity and motivation.
5. Are there coworking spaces and cafes in Toronto?
Yes, Toronto boasts a thriving coworking scene. You can find a variety of coworking spaces that cater to different needs and preferences. Some larger options include Industrious, iQ Offices and WorkplaceOne. The best part? ALL COWORKING SPACES are virtual cafes with the free-flowing, unlimited coffee, tea and other beverages that they service during office hours. Some even have a live barista on site (on top of yoga classes and other special events)! So instead of taking a chance on a cafe that might or might not have wifi (we're bombastic side-eye-ing these third gen coffeeshops that are *too cool* to be used for workspots), go instead to a reliable coworking space nearby and get fast WIFI and your caffeine fix in one.
📱 To start browsing and booking for coworking locations (or book your first coworking desk at any of our coworking partners - first day free!), download the Flexday App from your mobile.
🛎️ To get help placing your team at any coworking space (for a meeting room or private office), simply fill out this form and identify your nearest location of choice. We'll find your a coworking space partners any where in Canada.